FAQ - Frequently Asked Question list - Answer
Question: How to reindex Outlook Express folders or dbx files? How to rebuild Outlook Express files?
When you have a lot of information in Outlook Express folders, it considerably slows down the mail program. Besides, it may result in critical errors that can lead to messages and data being lost. The following things can indicate such a situation:
- Outlook Express is started slowly
- Outlook Express does not start at all
- Outlook Express folders are opened slowly
- Outlook Express hang-up when you close the program
- There are considerable delays when you send and receive messages
- It takes long to search for information in Outlook Express
The following ways to solve the problem are available:
- Distributing messages from one large Outlook Express folder into several Outlook Express folders.
You should create several new folders in Outlook Express and move messages from the large folder to them. The new folders should have the corresponding subject, recipient or date of creating/receiving messages.
- Reindexing the large source Outlook Express folder.
The first option is available with the standard Outlook Express means and most users can easily do it. But it is impossible to reindex Outlook Express folders without special tools because Outlook Express has no standard means and features for that.
To reindex one Outlook Express folder, you should:
- Download and install the program OE-Mail Recovery
- Extract and save messages from the Outlook Express folder using OE-Mail Recovery
- Back up the source dbx file corresponding to Outlook Express folder being reindexed. Described on page: How I can backup the Outlook Express dbx files by manually?
- Remove the DBX file being reindexed from the Store Folder of Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express and click the Outlook Express folder that is being reindexed. A new dbx file will be created automatically in the Store Folder of Outlook Express
- Move the saved message to the Outlook Express folder. Described on page: How to move .eml files to an Outlook Express folder?
The Outlook Express reindex procedure is complited now. You've just rebuild Outlook Express database in 4 steps. Rebuilded Outlook Express folders work faster. Outlook Express rebuild tool distributed under Try before buy license. OE-Mail Recovery is answer on question: How to reindex Outlook Express dbx file?